Freelance Fiction Editor
We are an author services company looking to hire a talented, creative, and ambitious fiction editor to join our US-based editorial team.
The ideal candidate will have more than 5 years of significant editorial experience in book publishing and is passionate about helping self-publishing authors reach their goals.
You should have proven fiction copy editing and line editing experience, and a demonstrable interest in self-publishing. You’ll be comfortable working under pressure, while ensuring that quality is maintained. You are confident editing in Microsoft Word, and have a sound knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style. People skills, flexibility, enthusiasm, and a good sense of humor are essential.
You are comfortable with all forms of communication and are happy to discuss and explain your edits and suggestions with authors. You will be expected to write regular blog posts for our company blog for which you will receive extra compensation.
We expect you to be an advocate of our values, and passionate about our core purpose and editorial principles. We work with many authors so you’ll be adept at managing multiple priorities while delivering excellent results.
In return, you will be paid on a per project basis.
Success factors include:
- You must be 100% freelance (no day job). No exceptions will be made.
- Highly motivated and extremely organized.
- You must be based in the US.
- Ability to check e-mail several times each day (excluding weekends and holidays). Our policy is a 4-hour (max) response time during core US work hours (e.g., 10 a.m.-4 p.m. central time zone).
- Ability to use Microsoft Word’s tracking and comment features. Your version of Word must be 2010 or later.
- Satisfactory completion of our editing tests as administered and evaluated by the Managing Editor.
- A good working knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Ability to provide candid, constructive editorial critiques and in-depth guidance on manuscript revisions and rewrites.
- Mastery of grammar, punctuation, and style rules, as well as incredible attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, work efficiently, and develop new skills.
- Outstanding partnering and communication skills.
- A passion for reading and writing.
- Experience in working as part of a remote team.
What you’ll do:
- Edit and critique a variety of fiction manuscripts in an agreed timeframe.
- Provide written reports explaining why certain edits have been made.
- Communicate with authors via e-mail, phone, or Skype.
To apply, please submit a resume to [email protected] along with a covering letter that clearly outlines your experience and interest in this position