Get clarity, deepen your understanding of your writing, and strengthen your ideas with a comprehensive edit. It’s in-depth and detailed and everything you need to make your story the best possible version of itself.
The Benefits of a Comprehensive Edit
A comprehensive edit is a unique combination of line editing, editorial comments on your manuscript, a written report, and a consultation with your editor.
A line edit is an extremely detailed edit and includes rewriting sentences and improving word choice, organization, plotting, and pacing. The purpose is to improve the readability and flow of your manuscript. Track changes in Word are used so you can easily see your editor’s changes and can accept or reject them.
Your line editor may draw your attention to:
- dialogue or paragraphs that can be tightened
- scenes where meaning is unclear or could be misunderstood
- redundancies from repeating information in different ways
- misuse or overuse of adjectives and adverbs
- passages that are weighed down by bland language
- possible changes to improve pacing
- tonal shifts and unnatural phrasing
Every manuscript is unique, so your line edits will depend on your manuscript’s needs.
Comments are made in the margins of your manuscript to point out specific scenes or passages that can be strengthened. Your editor will ask lots of questions and provide tips and recommendations.
- show how particular scenes, events, or actions don’t have the right impact, and how they can be revised
- highlight how a character’s speech or actions don’t ring true
- point out how a scene could do with more/less detail to enhance meaning and purpose
- identify unbelievable or nonsensical parts of the narrative, and how to fix them
- question the purpose of a scene, event, or character to ensure it has earned a place in the narrative
The editor’s report provides detailed feedback and insight on your manuscript. The report is similar to a manuscript critique, but the feedback is more specific because your manuscript is structurally sound.
To get a better idea of what the editor’s report looks like, please see our FAQs.
Got questions about your edit? Of course you do.
Get a 40-minute follow-up consultation with your editor after you have reviewed your edited files. Consultation can be carried out by phone, Skype, or email, depending on what suits you.
Average Timeline: 4–7 weeks
The Comprehensive Edit Process
Step 1: Order your comprehensive edit by clicking the button below.
Step 2: Fill out the short form and submit a sample of your work to help us find the right editor for you.
Step 3: You’ll receive a no-strings-attached editorial assessment of your sample and a quote for you to review.
Step 4: Once your quote is accepted, we’ll introduce you to your editor and invoice you for the 50% deposit.
Step 5: Work begins as soon as your deposit has been paid. You can pay by PayPal or credit card.
Step 6: Just before your edited files are returned, you’ll be invoiced for the remainder of the fee.
Step 7: Your editor will send your files to you as soon as payment has been received.
Step 8: Arrange your 40-minute consultation whenever you’re ready. This can be done by phone, Skype, or email.