Copyediting is the final step in perfecting your manuscript. It’s there to catch the errors and inconsistencies that threaten your brand, ensuring that you’re selling a professional-quality product that readers can trust.
A good copyedit requires an unwavering eye, incredible patience, and extensive experience in the kinds of issues that authors and amateur editors miss during their own checks. It’s not done in a single sitting, but over several days to ensure every page receives maximum focus.
Our editors keep extensive, specialist notes, recording in fine detail anything that might need checking for consistency or accuracy later in the process.
This exhaustive service is intended to catch:
- Errors in grammar, spelling, or punctuation.
- Inconsistencies in spelling, capitalization, and numerals.
- Misuse of words, figures of speech, or specialist terminology.
- Factual inaccuracies or missing information.
Your editor will catch and correct any remaining errors in your manuscript, returning an altered document that’s ready to convert straight into e-book format. A copyedit is the final polish your work needs to meet industry standards and compete in a marketplace where readers take extensive editing as read.
To many, a copyedit can seem unnecessary, especially when they feel capable of catching major errors themselves. So why should you trust us to copyedit your manuscript?
- We can be objective – A forensic copyedit requires an editor to have fresh eyes and no assumptions about what’s on the page. After months or even years of crafting a story, this is something authors just can’t expect of themselves.
- We know there are mistakes – Our editors don’t wonder if there are errors in a manuscript, they know they’re there. That means they’re constantly on the hunt, applying specialist knowledge about the kind of errors that are commonly missed by untrained editors and spellcheckers alike.
- We know the difference between ‘error-free’ and ‘professional’ – Avoiding outright errors is one thing, but attaining a professional standard of grammar, punctuation, and spelling is another. Our editors have the technical experience and professional reference materials to catch even the smallest errors, helping you to assure readers that your work can compete with that available through traditional publishing.
A copyedited book shows your readers that they can trust your skill and dedication as an author. It’s a reliable way to enhance their reading experience and turn one-time readers into longstanding fans.
If you’d like to know more then check out our Frequently Asked Questions, or contact us here today.