$0.03 - $0.06 per word ($300 minimum)
Developmental editing provides detailed feedback on your manuscript.
After telling us the goals you’d like to achieve, you’ll be matched with an editor who has experience in your chosen genre. They’ll begin a developmental edit of your work, which involves:
- Multiple readings of your manuscript,
- Identifying the key elements of your story and how they can be strengthened,
- Identifying possible avenues for development and how they could be approached,
- Annotating your manuscript with actionable advice and suggestions,
- Compiling an editor’s report, providing clear advice on multiple avenues of possible improvement.
Tailored to your goals and your manuscript, the report is a unique examination of your story and its inner workings, all intended to help you take early or stalled drafts to publishable quality.
Advice may include:
- Adjusting the tense or point of view of narration,
- Cutting filler description or non-essential events,
- Developing, dropping, or amalgamating lifeless characters,
- Spacing events to heighten reader investment and prevent fatigue,
- Ensuring dialogue feels natural, and that each character has a distinct voice,
- Creating a narrative ‘skeleton’ to avoid plot holes and tricky redrafting,
- Connecting story events to create a more cohesive narrative,
- Crafting intriguing openings and satisfying endings,
- Suggesting possible directions for the story or workarounds for problem areas.
To get a better idea of what the editor’s report looks like, please click on the ‘What will my report look like?’ question below.
The developmental editing process is a malleable relationship between editor and author, heavily dependent on what the author wants to achieve and the level of input they want from their editor. The aim is to provide you with a range of possibilities and, most importantly, a full understanding of the expert advice you’ve received.
A 45-minute consultation is included in the fee, giving you the chance to ask questions and seek any clarifications about the report and manuscript notes. Consultation can be carried out by phone, Skype or email, depending on what suits you.
If you’d like to know more then check out our Frequently Asked Questions, or contact us here today.
Please contact us before ordering this service so an editor can determine the appropriate level of editing for your book.